Youth Opportunities Unlimited serves thousands of Northeast Ohio teens and young adults each year and none of this would be possible without the assistance of volunteers like YOU.
Volunteering with Y.O.U. gives you the opportunity to:
- Directly impact the lives of local teens and young adults who live in disadvantaged circumstances
- Prepare students to enter the world of work, and shape tomorrow’s workforce
- Enable youth to learn and grow
- Share your wealth of education, career, and life experience to cultivate the next generation
By volunteering with Y.O.U., you can make a valuable difference in the lives of our teens. Join us!
Contact LarKesha Burns at email@example.com or (216)566-5445 ext. 253 for more information.
What role can YOU play in supporting the teens & young adults of Northeast Ohio?
Many Y.O.U. students come to us without a resume. Y.O.U. utilizes a software program that helps them generate their first resume.
Help coach students in making their resume marketable by:
- Assisting students in critical thinking of their work experience, transferrable skills, and how to make the resumes as marketable as possible
- Guiding students in the software process
- Offering recommendations for resume content
The end product is an attractive, professional resume that highlights the student’s qualifications and accomplishments.
Time Commitment: 30 minute orientation prior to session; 1 to 2 hours per resume building session.
For many Y.O.U. students, the prospect of meeting a potential employer for the first time can be very uncomfortable. To help prepare teens for this experience, Y.O.U. conducts mock interviews.
Help give youth the confidence they need to engage in their first real interview successfully by:
- Reviewing student resumes
- Asking questions regarding professional experience and job readiness
- Providing feedback on students’ performance
This opportunity allows volunteers to interact one-on-one with Y.O.U. teens and directly contribute to their success in interviewing — and perhaps landing a job!
Time Commitment: 40-80 minutes (depending on location)
E CITY BUSINESS PLAN COACH
Business Plan Coaches provide one-on-one mentoring to students as they turn class lessons into their own small business concept/venture. Students subsequently present a finished business plan to a panel of judges for the opportunity to win seed money for their small business venture.
Help mentor a young entrepreneur as he or she turns class lessons into a small business concept/venture by:
- Reviewing and enhancing student business plans
- Leading students one-on-one through the business plan process
- Providing feedback on students’ presentation style and performance
- Preparing students for the world of business and entrepreneurship
Time Commitment: 40-80 minutes (depending on location), plus 45-minute orientation.
E CITY BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION JUDGE
Competition judges evaluate student business plan presentations. They confer and give the student critical feedback on business ideas and presentation skills. Competition judges select three winners and award them seed money for their small business venture startup.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours, plus 20-minute orientation.
Provide valuable insight to students by sharing your experiences.
Past topics have included:
- Financial literacy
FIELD TRIP HOST
Host a group of students at your company to educate them on your industry.
- Communications/Marketing: Media Relations, Photography, Graphic Design, Video Production
- Special Events: Planning, Registration, Auctions, Set-up/Clean-up, Decoration
- Administrative Support: Mailings, Fundraising, Grant Writing, Technology Services, Data Entry
- Legal Services
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Committee Membership
Looking for ways you can get involved with Y.O.U.? There are many opportunities available to you, from volunteering in a school to hosting students at your company to educating them about your industry!